As a new mother, you may have heard about the benefits of using breast milk as a lotion for your baby. Breast milk is known to contain antibodies that help fight infections and is a natural moisturizer. However, you may wonder how long breast milk lotion is good for and if it is safe to use on your baby’s skin.
What is Breast Milk Lotion?
Breast milk lotion is a natural lotion made by mixing breast milk and other ingredients like coconut oil or beeswax. It is used to moisturize the baby’s skin and help prevent diaper rash. Breast milk lotion is easy to make at home and is often preferred by mothers who want to use natural products on their babies’ skin.
How Long is Breast Milk Lotion Good For?
Breast milk lotion can last for up to three days if stored properly in the refrigerator. However, it is recommended to make small batches of breast milk lotion and use it within a day or two. Breast milk lotion should never be left at room temperature and should always be stored in a clean container with a lid.
Is it Safe to Use Breast Milk Lotion on Your Baby’s Skin?
Breast milk lotion is generally safe to use on your baby’s skin, provided that the breast milk used is fresh and not expired. Breast milk lotion is also free from harmful chemicals and is therefore less likely to cause any allergic reactions or skin irritations.
How to Make Breast Milk Lotion
Making breast milk lotion is easy and can be done at home with a few simple ingredients. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make breast milk lotion:
- 1/2 cup of breast milk
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of beeswax
- Melt the beeswax and coconut oil in a double boiler.
- Add breast milk to the melted mixture.
- Whisk the mixture until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into a clean container with a lid.
- Store the container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Tips for Using Breast Milk Lotion
Here are some tips for using breast milk lotion on your baby’s skin:
- Always use freshly expressed breast milk to make the lotion.
- Make small batches of breast milk lotion and use it within a day or two.
- Test the lotion on a small patch of skin before applying it all over your baby’s body.
- Use breast milk lotion as a moisturizer after bath time or during diaper changes.
Breast milk lotion is a natural and safe option for moisturizing your baby’s skin. It is easy to make at home and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. Breast milk lotion is free from harmful chemicals and is less likely to cause any allergic reactions or skin irritations. However, it is important to use freshly expressed breast milk and to make small batches of the lotion.